Alhamdulillah, it is the 5th week of school already...
We have already learned so much:
- how to write both the long and short date on all our work.
- printing neatly and correctly.
- the rules on writing in our journals.
- in reading we are still reading about school (acceptable and not acceptable behavior).
- in math we have completed the first chapter of our math book (patterning and sorting) and we have started our second chapter 'Exploring Numbers' (when do we use numbers, how do we use numbers, where do we see numbers, why do we use numbers, etc.).
- in science we have covered the different between living and non-living things, the needs of living things, characteristics of living things etc.
- in art most of us completed our friendly monsters and have worked on our apple crafts.
- in Islamic Studies (taught in Arabic) we covered the following topics 'Allah is Our Great Creator' (Al-Khaliq, Al-Musawwir, Al-Bari)... We completed the simple phrase in Arabic 'Khalaq Allah...'. Then we moved on to 'Searching for Allah' (Prophet Ibrahim's search for Allah)... We talked about why Allah is not 'the sun', 'the moon', or 'the shining star' and how Prophet Ibrahim figured out that Allah could not be any of those things. We used the phrase "Yabhat Saiduna Ibrahim ala Allah...", we mentioned that Prophet Ibrahim 'Khaleel Allah' (friend of Allah). Then we talked about the ones of Allah 'Allah wahed', by starting with the first of the five pillars of Islam... 'Al-Shahadatain', then we moved on to talking about 'Surah Al-Ikhalas'. We talked about how Allah does not need anyone with Him. 'La ilaha ila Allah', 'Al-Wahd', 'Al-Samad', 'Al-Hayy', 'Al-Qayyum', 'Al-Aliyy', 'Al-Atheem'... We talked about Tawheed (The believe in ONE God)Student got to reflect about "I love God, He loves me', why do we love Allah? Why does He love us? 'Limada nuhib Allah wa limada huwa uhibbuna'... the name of Allah 'Al-wadud' is what we focused on...
- in gym/health class we have been practicing the dos and don'ts of being in the gym. We learned a couple of new games: 'The mirror' and 'Steetcars'.
- We will be working on social studies after we finish our science unit, we usually alternate between social studies and science in grade one.
*Usually I do not send books home because most of the time, but if you need to take a look at the work we are covering in class, please let me know and I can send the book(s) home.
*Also, if you need anything or feel like you would like to meet please email me and we can plan accordingly, inshallah.
*I am sure all of you are aware of our 'Zero Tolerance' rule, in which no one is allowed to touch his/her classmate in any way or manner. Parents will be notified through an email whenever a student breaks the 'Zero Tolerance Rule'
By working together we will have a successful year, inshallah!